Guava leaves are just as medicinally useful as the nutritional powerhouse fruit they grow with. The leaves of the guava tree are full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, antibacterials, and even tannins that can have significant health benefits, from treating stomach troubles to chronic diseases like cancer.
Just like the popular tropical fruit can be made into beverages, jams, and other foods, its leaves can too. They can be brewed to make a tea, for example, which releases beneficial substances like vitamin C and flavonoids like quercetin. Scientific studies have documented the healthful qualities of the superfruit’s leaves, and you can see what they’ve found for a variety of conditions below:
1. Reduces bad LDL cholesterol without affecting good HDL cholesterol levels.
2. Guava leaf tea treats bronchitis and coughs
3. Relieve the itching caused by allergies- just crush the leaves and apply them on the affected area. The same goes for insect bites.
4. Stop the hair loss-you just need to boil the leaves and then leave them to cool off. Use the cold mixture to massage your scalp.
5. Lose weight by stopping carbohydrates from turning into sugar and suppresses your appetite with guava leaf tea.
6. Guava leaf tea is also great for upset stomach and provides a great help in cases of food poisoning.
7. Treat diarrhea and dysentery with the same tea because it it provides strong antimicrobial properties.
8. Guava leaf tea is considered to be effective in treating enlarged prostate and cancer.
9. Also its consumption is recommended for men who deal with fertility problems.
10. Get rid of the boring acne and pimples on your face only by using guava leaves. They effective in healing this spots because of its high levels of vitamin C that they contain.
11. By using crushed guava leaves you can also prevent infection, you just need apply them on some minor cuts like scrapes or abrasion. Or use cold guava tea to relieve outer ear infection-just puts a couple of drops in it.
12. Boil 9 guava leaves in 5 cups of water until the amount you have in your pot reduces by half. This is great in the treatment of dengue.
13. The guava leaf tea reduces blood sugar levels and also does not stimulate insulin secretion.
14. You can also use these leaves to relieve a toothache, inflamed gums and sores in the oral cavity- you just need to chew a couple of them.
15. Prevent premature skin aging with a combination of a couple of crushed guava leaves and a little bit of water.