Reheating dinner is a way of life. Whether it’s Friday night and you need to clean out your fridge, or you want to turn your leftovers from last night into a whole new meal, our microwaves are our handy kitchen companions.
But research shows that reheating some of your favorite foods can be dangerous to your health, especially if they were stored incorrectly beforehand.
These five foods, for instance, could give you food poisoning—or worse—if reheated or stored improperly:
Some people often put meat in the microwave to thaw it in a matter of minutes before preparing it.
While this may help prevent the contamination of some bacteria, it decreases the amount of vitamin B12 and amino acids in the meat.
Moreover, when this apparatus is used to reheat meat cooked on the previous day, it reduces the meat’s natural juices and its protein value.
Put the meat at the bottom of the fridge to defrost a day before you’re going to use it.
Heat the prepared meat in a pan at a low temperature.
White rice is a food that shouldn’t be heated in a microwave at all. This is because the high temperatures it’s subjected to deprive it of a large part of its nutrients.
Microwaves set a uniform and high temperature from the first moment they start to cook the food. This directly affects the foods’ vitamins, minerals, and fiber content.
Cook rice in a pot with water, where the temperature increases gradually as the food cooks.
If you want to reheat rice, add a little water to the pot and put it on low heat.
Milk and other dairy products such as yogurt lose up to half of their nutrients when subjected to high temperatures.
Subjecting it to this environment completely eliminates its vitamin B12 content and reduces its essential mineral content.
When you want to drink hot milk, put it on low heat in a pan until it reaches a temperature suitable for consumption.
The proteins that mushrooms contain are completely destroyed when this type of fungus is cooked or reheated at high temperatures.
In fact, once they cool back down to room temperature, mushrooms are more susceptible to contamination by certain microorganisms.
Try not to reheat mushrooms after you’ve cooked them, as they may cause indigestion and abdominal inflammation.
The high temperatures that microwaves are capable of producing can destroy up to 97% of the antioxidants contained in broccoli.
The changes that this vegetable undergoes when using this cooking technique can be perceived both in its texture and taste.
Consume broccoli in salads and smoothies to take full advantage of its nutritional value.
If you prefer to cook it, then choose to steam it.