Orange essential oil is a diverse workhorse product. Sometimes called sweet orange oil, it’s derived from the peels of Citrus × sinensis (as opposed to bergamot essential oil, made from the species C. × aurantium). It’s an effective addition to homemade cleaners,can be used as an antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic.
When shopping for essential oil, be sure to purchase 100 percent pure essential oil. “Fragrance oil,” “nature-identical oil” or “perfume oil” aren’t the same.
1. Winter Refresher: To keep indoor air smelling fresh, mix 8 drops orange essential oil with 2-1⁄2 cups warm water in a spray bottle. Spritz as necessary, avoiding eyes, and shake well before use.
2. Mood-lifter: Orange essential oil can enhance your mindset thanks to its energizing and pleasant scent. Mix a few drops of the essential oil with 1⁄4 cup sweet almond oil in a small, airtight jar. Dab it on your temples to help with headaches or supercharge your spirits on a cloudy afternoon.
3. Flavor Almond Milk: Put a delicious zing in your almond milk by adding a few drops of orange essential oil. Soak 2⁄3 cup raw almonds and 4 soft dates (pitted) in 2 cups water overnight. Blend with 2 more cups water until smooth. Add 1 drop cinnamon essential oil and 4 drops orange essential oil, then pour through a mesh strainer or nut milk bag. Serve warm or chilled.
4. Insect Repellent: Whip up a natural, insect-repellent glass cleaner by combining 2 cups white vinegar with 10 drops sweet orange essential oil in a labeled spray bottle. Use it to clean windows and mirrors, shaking well before each use.
5. Clean Floors: Combine 1⁄4 cup white vinegar with 14 drops orange essential oil. Add to a bucket of water. For extra cleaning power, add several drops of castile soap, but follow with a clean-water mop to ensure floors aren’t slippery.
6. Pamper Furniture: Moisturize leather furniture with a mixture of 1⁄4 cup flax seed oil, 1⁄2 cup white vinegar and 1 to 2 drops orange essential oil. Place the ingredients in a glass jar with a lid. Cover and shake before using. Apply with a soft, clean cloth. Rub the mixture on one small area at a time and buff until the surface dries.
7. Nix Fleas: Mix 2 cups baking soda with 10 to 15 drops orange essential oil. Sprinkle on carpets, then wait a few minutes or up to an hour before vacuuming. Make sure pets and children are kept away and can’t ingest the baking soda.
8. Lip Service: Make an easy DIY Orange-Mint Lip Balm. Combine 4 tablespoons almond oil and 1 tablespoon grated in a small pot on the stove. Warm the mixture gently over very low heat until the beeswax melts. Remove from heat, add 1 teaspoon honey and stir thoroughly. Add 5 drops sweet orange essential oil and 5 drops peppermint essential oil, then stir again. Pour into small wide-mouth glass jars and allow to cool, stirring occasionally (if necessary) to keep mixture from separating.