On numerous occasions we’ve heard about the great benefits of drinking a glass of wine a day, giving us just more reason to enjoy this delicious beverage that has delighted palates for centuries. If you still aren’t convinced that you should drink red wine more often, today we want to bring its important benefits to your attention and hopefully inspire you to always keep a bottle at home.
One glass of red wine could be equivalent to an hour of exercise
According to a recent study by a team of researchers from the University of Alberta (Canada), red wine is rich in a compound called resveratrol, which could increase heart rate and muscle performance. According to their findings, drinking a glass a day can have the same effects on the body as getting an hour of intense exercise.
The team found that high doses of resveratrol improve physical performance, heart function, and muscle strength, so drinking a glass of red wine every day could be equal to getting an hour of exercise. Of course, drinking red wine combined with the intake of other healthy foods like fruits and nuts can increase the performance of people who exercise regularly, giving them an additional positive result.
With this discovery, the researchers have now begun to test the effects of resveratrol on people who have diabetes and heart problems to determine whether it may improve heart health.
Other benefits of red wine that are worth remembering
Since we’re talking about the benefits of drinking a glass of red wine a day, it’s worth listing all of the great effects it can have on your health. Among its main benefits are:
- Reducing the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke (the blockage of an artery in the brain), as well as atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- Red wine’s antioxidant content helps fight bad cholesterol and boosts good cholesterol levels
- Strengthening the immune system to fight infections and reduce the effects of allergies
- Vitamins and antioxidants help nourish the skin. Drinking red wine every day can help prevent the early signs of aging
- Improving circulation by thinning the blood, which also reduces inflammation
- Providing a good amount of vitamins and minerals, as well as trace elements like magnesium, zinc, lithium, ,calcium, iron, and potassium
- Reducing the risk of high blood pressure and diabetes
- Improving dental health thanks to the natural antioxidant levels that can slow the growth of bacteria in the teeth and gums
- Improving memory
- Red wine might also help people with Alzheimer’s, and those who are at risk for this disease. This is thanks to its content of antioxidants, which fight aging and brain degeneration
- Daily consumption of red wine may also help fight cancer. Several studies have shown that the flavonoids found in red wine could be key in the prevention of prostate cancer
- The antioxidants in red wine (as well as grapes) also protects against diseases that affect the eyes, like macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy
Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to serious liver problems and other health issues!