Cauliflower, amazingly, makes a great crust for pizza sauce and toppings. And so healthy! It’s different to work with than a normal bread crust, to be sure. It requires a plate and a fork since it’s not bread, but a vegetable. Go for it! It’s easy, takes just about 15 minutes tops to prep and another 12 to bake, add some homemade pizza sauce, toppings of your choice and broil until they are browned. Beautiful! Give this a try and be impressed. Impress your friends. Pizza that is good for you starts with this crust!
I admit I was skeptical. This could never work, I thought. The men in my life will hate it, and still be hungry after. I was wrong on all counts. They were fine with the crust, loved the pizza and, I noticed later, no one was rummaging through the kitchen looking for extra goodies or dessert.
PIZZA WITH A CAULIFLOWER CRUST:
The Crust is 51 calories per serving. The Crust is gluten-free, low carb, low sodium and low sugar. The toppings are whatever you like, please adjust them to suit your dietary needs and remember the toppings will greatly affect the nutrition of your pizza! This is only a serving suggestion for toppings and pizza sauce.
- 1 c. cooked, riced cauliflower (about 7 to 8 inches across)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- parmesan cheese, if desired
- Chop cauliflower into small bite size pieces. Load them into your food processor and process until the cauliflower is rice sized.
- Place the rice sized cauliflower into in a microwave safe dish and microwave 7-8 minutes until tender.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F
- Oil a pizza pan, pizza stone or cookie sheet. Cut a sheet of liberally oiled parchment paper to fit.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, egg whites, mozzarella, oregano and garlic.
- Press evenly and firmly onto the oiled parchment.
- Sprinkle the crust with parmesan cheese, to taste.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. Watch to make sure it doesn’t burn, but it should slightly brown.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Add your sauce, then cheese, and finally your toppings.
- Place under a broiler on low for several minutes, just until the cheese is melted. Watch it carefully or it will burn. If you have only a Hi setting on your broiler; keep the door open to give the pizza more time to bake the top without burning.