Homemade acne masks have been scientifically proven as extremely effective in treating and preventing acne outbreaks since they use natural and antibacterial ingredients such as honey, tea tree oil, aloe Vera, baking soda, and oatmeal which can help you to:
• Kill off bacteria causing pimples
• Help dry up excess oil
• Unclog pores from dead skin cells
• Prevent acne scars from forming
• Remove dead skin cells
• Remove excess sebum from pores
The Best Natural Ingredients to Make a Homemade Acne Face Mask
When it comes to preparing homemade face masks for acne, it is of great importance to include the best kind of natural, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory ingredients that can help in reducing redness, inflammation and swelling.
Tea tree oil
According to a study published in The Medical Journal of Australia, tea tree oil is considered as the best ingredient to make acne face mask since it contains antibacterial properties that are very effective in reducing the number of blackheads and inflamed pimples in people with acne, quickly and effectively kill many strains of bacteria that infect the skin and also help to reduce swelling and redness in inflamed pimples and dries up excess oil from the pores.
The use of lavender oil have also been backed up in many conducted researches since it proved as highly-effective compound in natural acne face masks thanks to its antibacterial activity. Moreover, the calming effect of lavender oil will help reduce stress and calm inflammation in swollen, red acne bumps.
According to a study from Switzerland, lavender oil is an effective method to rid the skin of acne-causing bacteria and reduce the appearance of spots and inflamed skin blemishes. The researchers examined the effectiveness of essential oils in killing off the Propionibacterium acnes strain of bacteria. It found that lavender oil showed strong bactericidal activity.
Its powerful antibacterial properties make the honey an excellent ingredient that should be included in homemade face masks for acne.
The ability of honey to kills off germs that can cause pores to become infected owes to its antibacterial activity which. According to a study published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, honey accelerates the wound-healing process because it provides a moist protective barrier to prevent infection spreading.
Many doctors are even now recommending the usage of Manuka honey as an alternative acne treatment.
A study published in the journal Skin Pharmacology and Physiology found that aloe Vera is one of the best natural ingredient to use when preparing your acne face masks since it is as effective as 1% hydrocortisone cream, it contains antibacterial compounds and provides a soothing effect on inflamed skin. Hydrocortisone is sometimes prescribed to help reduce skin swelling and inflammation.
If you have cystic acne or acne that it is difficult to treat, aloe Vera has been shown to help improve the effectiveness of some acne treatments.
The grainy texture of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) makes the baking soda an excellent way to gently exfoliate your skin to dry up excess sebum and unclog dead skin cells from pores.
Research dedicated on examining the effectiveness of baking soda and its therapeutic properties on the skin has shown that it an effective antibacterial agent against many strains of bacteria that cause skin infections thanks to its antibacterial activity.
Apple cider vinegar
When you decide to make own acne face mask, make sure you use raw unprocessed apple cider vinegar to disinfect pores and eliminate acne-causing germs. Also, the low pH level of apple cider vinegar has ability to reduce skin inflammation.
According to the journal PLOS One, the acetic acid (apple cider vinegar has high levels of acetic acid) helps destroy bacteria that can infect skin wounds.
Green tea is a simple, yet very effective in treating acnes thanks to its powerful medicinal properties. The astringent effect of green tea is beneficial for drying excess sebum from pores.
The journal Hippokratia discovered that green tea is rich in compounds that can decrease the skin’s production of sebum. It is an effective anti-acne treatment when combined together with other acne-fighting natural ingredients.
Apple cider vinegar acne face mask
Here is how to make the acne facial mask:
• Add 1 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp. green tea (wait until the liquid has cooled), 5 tsp. sugar, and 1 tsp. honey to a bowl and mix well.
• Gently massage the facial scrub on your face to unclog pores using your fingers.
• Leave for 10 minutes to act and wash with warm water.
• Use the apple cider acne face mask 1-2 times a week to help keep a clear complexion and your skin free of pimples.
Another way to use apple cider vinegar to eliminate acne fast is to dilute it with water and add some tea tree oil. You can use this apple cider vinegar remedy for acne:
• Combine equal parts of raw unprocessed apple cider vinegar and water.
• Add a few drops of tea tree oil (or lavender oil). You need about 6-8 drops essential oil for every 1 oz. liquid.
• Before you apply the mixture make sure you shake it well.
• Take a cotton ball and apply the facial acne treatment to you face.
• Rinse with warm water.
Use the apple cider vinegar skin toner to cleanse your face every morning and evening and you will keep your skin free of blemishes.
Homemade honey acne face mask
To make the honey acne face mask, please do the following:
• Make a mixture of 1 tbsp. honey and 1 tbsp. jojoba oil in a glass bowl.
• Add 3 drops tea tree oil (or 2 drops tea tree oil and 1 drop lavender oil).
• Apply the honey remedy to your face and allow it to act for 20 minutes.
• Rinse off with warm water.
• Use the anti-acne honey face mask once a week to help prevent acne outbreaks and to keep your skin well-moisturized.
Cinnamon face mask to treat acne
This is what you should do:
• Combine 2 tbsp. honey with 1 tsp. cinnamon to form a soft paste
• Apply the honey and cinnamon mask to the damaged area
• Leave for 15-20 minutes, and then rinse it off.
• Apply the cinnamon mask 1-2 times a week to help to lessen the occurrence of pimples by cleansing acne-causing bacteria from your skin.
Baking soda face mask for acne
To make the baking soda acne mask, this is what you should do:
• Mix 2 tbsp. baking soda with 2 tbsp. water and add 1 tsp. lemon juice.
• Apply the baking soda paste to the acne-affected areas on your face.
• Let it stay for 10-15 minutes to allow the baking soda to break down the bacteria.
• Wash with warm water.
Baking soda has a high pH level, so use this acne face mask only once a week at the most and make sure you always use a good natural moisturizer after.
You can also make an exfoliating acne scrub with baking soda you by using the above recipe, without lemon juice included. To remove dead skin cells and unclog pores from excess sebum, massage the baking soda remedy onto your face. Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Homemade oatmeal mask
• Combine together 2 tbsp. ground oatmeal with 1 tbsp. baking soda and enough water to make a thick paste.
• Apply the oatmeal remedy to the affected area; gently massage it and leave to dry.
• Rinse with warm water to remove the oatmeal acne mask.
• Apply cold water to your face to close the pores.
• Use 2-3 times a week to help your skin to heal quicker from the effects of acne lesions and to prevent further appearance of whiteheads, blackheads, and pustules…
Aloe Vera acne mask
• Add 6-8 drops of tea tree oil to 1 tbsp. aloe Vera.
• Apply the acne treatment to your pimples and allow it to act for 30 minutes.
• Wash with warm water and pat your skin dry.
• You can use this aloe Vera homemade mask daily to lessen the severity of acne. It is also a beneficial face mask to use 1-2 times a week to help prevent any pimples from appearing on your face.
Tea tree oil and egg white mask for acne.
To make the tea tree oil and egg white mask, please do this:
• Whisk 2 egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
• Add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and the juice of half a lemon. Mix in gently to the egg whites.
• Apply the acne mask to your face and let it to dry.
• Rinse off with cool water and pat dry.
• For best results, use the tea tree oil and egg white mask 2-3 times a week keep your skin free of pimples and blemishes.
Honey and Clay Face Mask
For this acne face mask you will need:
• Mix 1 tsp. raw organic honey, 1 tsp. bentonite clay (or other type of clay) and enough water to form a paste
• Apply the mask to your face and leave for 20 minute and then wash with warm water.
• Repeat the treatment once or twice weekly.
You can also make a healing face mask using clay and jojoba oil. As we already mentioned, this mask was scientifically proven method of reducing the number of pimples.
Here is how to make the face mask:
• Mix a small amount of clay, such as bentonite, white, or green clay with some jojoba oil and make a paste.
• Gently apply to the skin and leave for 15 minutes.
• Gently wash off with water.
• Apply a small amount of jojoba oil to moisturize the skin.
Witch hazel and aloe Vera toner for acne prone skin
Witch hazel is best used either as a skin toner or as a skin mask.
To use witch hazel as a skin toner, you can either apply it with a cotton pad to the damaged area up to 3 times a day, or you can keep it in a spray bottle and spray directly onto your skin.
You will need the following ingredients:
• 6 tbsp. witch hazel
• 2 tbsp. aloe Vera gel
• 5-10 drop of tea tree essential oil or lavender oil (or you could use a mixture of both)
• Mix the ingredients in a container or spray bottle. Mist the affected area or apply it using a cotton ball.