Did you know that there is real honey and fake honey?
9 times out of 10, that cute teddy bear honey you think is real ,is fake.
Without distinguishing the difference between pure and fake honey, you will end up buying bad products. There are a lot of adulteration of honey, which makes it not real yet sold as the real thing. In 2001, the American FTC imposed stiff tariffs on what we know as Chinese honey as an aftermath of the scandals to do with cheap adulterated Chinese honey on American food markets. So, what is pure honey?
What is Pure, Real Honey?
Real honey should not come from a factory, but from bees. The most common references to real and pure honey are organic and natural honey.
What is Fake Honey?
On the other hand, what you are likely to be consuming could be fake honey. So, what is fake? Also called adulterated, impure or artificial honey, this one has been added sugar syrups, molasses, corn syrup, dextrose, and other flavors and additives.
How to Check the Purity of Honey at Home
According to Natural Nigerian, most producers will dilute nectar-made honey with molasses and sugar syrup in order to boost their profits. To boost the thickness of the honey, some will add to it flour, sand, sawdust or even ground chalk. In order to check the purity of honey at home, here’s what to do:
Here’s the procedure to do a thumb test:
- Put a small drop of the honey you have on your thumb
- Check to see if it spills or spreads around
- If it does, it is not pure
- Pure honey will stay intact on your thumb
THE WATER TEST TO SPOT FAKE HONEY
Here’s how to do the water test:
- Fill a glass with water
- Add one tablespoon of honey into the glass
- Adulterated or artificial honey will dissolve in water and you will see it around the glass
- Pure honey on the other hand will settle right at the bottom of your glass
THE FLAME TEST TO KNOW PURE HONEY
Did you know that organic honey is flammable? Here’s a test to know 100% pure organic honey.
- Take a dry matchstick
- Dip its tip right into the honey
- Strike the stick on the matchbox as if to light it
- If the honey is pure, the matchstick will light with ease
- The flame will also keep burning off the honey
- However, if it is with impurities, it will not light because fake honey contains moisture as one of the impurities
How to Tell the Difference between Pure and Fake Honey
By examining the physical qualities of honey, it is very easy to know whether this is pure or impure honey. Below are some of the main differences in properties that will help you distinguish between the real and unreal thing.
Fake Honey Properties
- Impure honey is runny and will drip easily
- Will have a rough texture and clumps
- Separates easily into layers
- May smell sour, or have no smell
Pure Honey Properties
- Does not foam under any circumstance
- Is quite thick and only trickles in a stream
- Soft texture – think filament-like
- Never separates into layers
- Has the aroma of honey
Please follow and like us: