Everyone wants lighter hair in summer. Well, maybe not everyone but most people do prefer a lighter look for the warmer months.
To lighten your hair, you don’t always need to turn to expensive chemical treatments.
Getting your hair professionally lightened over a long period can make your hair extremely dry, brittle, and frizzy. As the chemicals start to buildup in your hair and scalp, you begin to lose large chunks of hair, leading to the development of bald patches. And that is definitely not what you had signed up for.
While these approaches do give faster results, there are several natural methods which can help to achieve this without exposing your hair to aggressive substances.
Homemade lightening is much less expensive than buying highlighter in the store and you can use it more than once because there are no chemicals to cause dry and brittle hair.
Here are a few different lightening methods that you can try:
1. Cinnamon, honey and vinegar treatment
The ingredients we combine in this lightening treatment help to remove the toxins that affect the health of the hair. Applying it highlights red, brunette and blonde streaks, giving them a soft and shiny appearance.
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon (15 g)
- 1-2 cup of organic honey (167 g)
- 1 cup of distilled vinegar (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (16 g)
Put all the ingredients in a glass container and mix them until you have a uniform paste.
Cover it and store it in a cool place.
Method of application:
- Wet the hair, separate it into several chunks and apply the treatment from the roots to the tips.
- You can use a brush or comb to distribute it well.
- Put on a shower cap and leave the product to act for 2 hours.
- Rinse with plenty of warm water and dry with a clean towel.
- Repeat at least 3 times a week.
Lemon juice, diluted half and half with distilled water, will lighten dark blond or light brown hair and won’t leave reddish tones unless your hair already has them.
My grandmother used to swear by chamomile to lighten darker hair. She said to brew a really strong cup of chamomile tea and let it cool. Then apply to individual strands of hair for highlights, or pour over entire head for all over color. Go out into the sun and let it dry, usually about 30 minutes. Wash out and style as usual.
4. Vitamin C
Crush 8-9 Vitamin C tablets and mix into the amount of shampoo you would normally use on your hair. Shampoo as usual and follow with conditioner.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is actually great for stripping your hair of chemical buildup and can be used as a lightening agent as well. This takes a while longer than other methods but if you use baking soda on your hair about once each week, you can strip harmful chemicals out and lighten your hair naturally over time.
6. Non-alcoholic beer and egg white treatment
As well as being an excellent hair lightener, this beer and egg white treatment is an important source of essential amino acids and help promote healthy growth.
- 1 can of non-alcoholic beer (33 cl)
- 1 egg white
Open the beer and mix it with the egg white.
Method of application:
- Rub the treatment into wet hair, cover with a shower cap and leave it to act for 2 to 3 hours.
- Rinse with warm water and dry with a soft towel.
- Use 2 or 3 times a week.