Starbucks is a coffee Kingpin, which boasts the largest coffeehouse chain in the world, with 23,187 stores in 64 countries, and annual sales of $14.9 billion, while CEO Howard Schultz is worth a whooping $1.6 billion.
BUT they are not the healthier option
1) Their coffee quality. Coffee beans are one of the crops most heavily sprayed with pesticides. Yet only a mere 1.1 percent of Starbucks coffee is organic.
In March of 2007 Consumer Reports issued a report comparing coffees at popular fast food chains ironically ranking Starbucks behind McDonalds. The publication described Starbucks coffee as, “strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open.”
2) Conventional milk. Starbuck’s milk comes from factory farmed cows also known as CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operations). These poor cows are massively injected with antibiotics throughout their lifecycle, and fed an unhealthy diet of GMO feed including: corn, soy, alfalfa, and cotton seed. In fact Starbucks is a major supporter of Big Dairy.
3) “Organic” soy milk. Don’t be fooled by the word ‘organic.’ Research indicates that the only healthy soy that’s fit for human consumption is fermented soy.
4) Toxic baked goods. Expensive junk food sold at Starbucks may contain the following questionable ingredients:
• Nutrient devoid, refined flours
• Chemically derived sugars
• Cellulose gum, an indigestible wood pulp
• Cheap toxic oils like soy, canola and corn
• Azodicarbonamide, banned in several countries and linked to asthma
• Propylene Glycol a petro based chemical used in antifreeze
• Sodium benzoate used in their popular iced lemon pound cake
Note: When sodium benzoate combines with ascorbic acid or vitamin C it transforms into a cancer-causing agent that destroys DNA in cells.
Deceptively, Starbucks food products still contain growth hormones which are reported to be carcinogen and have been linked to breast and prostate cancer and who knows what else!