Ingredients and Other Things:
- 8 Hotdog Wieners/Beef Franks
- 8 Wooden Skewers or Popsicle Sticks
- 8 Sheets of Parchment Paper, cut into 6 inch by 8 inch pieces
- 1 cup Pancake Mix (Aunt Jemima Original Complete)
- ¾ c Cornmeal
- ¾ c Milk
- ¼ c Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg (scrambled)
- 2 tbsp Honey
I used a gas grill, set to the lowest heat setting, with the top open.
Step 1: Batter
Preheat your grill while you’re making the batter.
- In a mixing bowl or a large cup, combine cornmeal and pancake mix.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredient mixture and add the milk, vegetable oil, egg and honey.
- Stir until combined.
- Set aside.
Step 2: Skewer
Skewer each weenie down the center with some sort of wooden stick.
If you’re going to use bamboo skewers, I recommend cutting off the pointy end. I left the point on and the entire time they were being eaten I was afraid that someone was going to stab themselves in the mouth. Popsicle sticks are probably a better choice, especially if the corn dogs will be served to kids.
Step 3: Grill
Grill the weenies on sticks for 2-3 minutes. Remove them from the heat and let them sit for a minute.
Step 4: Dip & Wrap
- Submerge the weenie in the batter.
- Move it around until it is completely coated.
- Pull it out and let a little bit of the excess drip off.
- Place the coated weenie on a piece of parchment paper. Place it off to one side and not in the center.
- Fold the closest side of the parchment paper over the weenie. From there, roll the weenie until it’s completely wrapped in parchment paper.
- Twist the ends in opposite directions to seal. It was easier for me to twist both at the same time as opposed to twisting one end and then the other.
Step 5: Grill (again)
- Place the corn dogs down and let them cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip them over and let them cook for 2 more minutes.
- Rotate the corn dogs so that they lay on one side and let them cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip to opposite side and cook for 2 minutes as well.
- Remove from heat.
- Let sit for 2 minutes.
- Unwrap and remove parchment paper.
- There might be some uncooked batter on the ends where the parchment paper was twisted. Place back on grill for 1-2 minutes or until batter is fully cooked.