Are you familiar with the fact that receding gums can be a very dangerous issue if not addressed in a timely manner. Namely, it begins when the gum tissue around the teeth corrodes and it looks like the gums recede backwards. Afterwards, a large surface of teeth is exposed and becomes more visible. In addition, when the gums go back, the space between the gum line and the teeth rises, making it an ideal place for bacteria growth.
Here are the symptoms of receding gums:
Unluckily, it is a very common problem and is not noticed by most of the people, mainly because the process is slow and happens gradually.
So, it’s quite important to pay attention to your gums in case your teeth have become sensitive as it is one of the first signs. Moreover, another indicator is the tooth size: if it seems larger than it had been previously, it is actually a sign of receding gums.
Some other symptoms:
– Tooth sensitivity
– Larger tooth than before
– Tooth ache or pain
But, what triggers receding gums?
It might be triggered by a gum disease, as well as by other reasons like:
1. Periodontal diseases. It is bacterial infection in the gums, causing damage to the supporting bone of the tooth and the gums, of course followed by other problems.
2. Lack of oral hygiene. In case you skip teeth brushing and flossing, then you might have plague build up on your teeth, which can result in calculus, i.e., a hard substance, contributing to gum recession.
3. Aggressive brushing. Bear in mind, it is actually the complete opposite of brushing teeth regularly. Furthermore, in case you brush your teeth aggressively, your teeth enamel will be destroyed, leading to receding gums.
4. Genes. In such a case you cannot change a lot about this issue.
5. Hormone imbalance. It can be a great problem particularly among women. as those changes contribute to more vulnerable and sensitive gums.
6. Smoking. Yes, it can cause receding gums, despite many other health issues. Additionally, those using tobacco in any form can get sticky plague on their teeth more easily, thus resulting in receding gums.
7. Clenching and grinding the teeth. It will put pressure on your teeth, leading to receding gums. Also, using force to take bits while eating may also trigger the same problem.
8. Surprisingly, but piercing your tongue or lips can also result in the same problem.
How to treat receding gums
If this problem is noticed on time, your doctor can treat it with root planning or tooth scaling.
But, if this problem is not noticed on time, you may need to have surgery on your gums to repair the damage. In addition, some of the surgeries are: regeneration of the lost tissue and bone of gums and teeth, soft tissue graft, depth reduction, etc.
However, in order to avoid surgery you should try some of these homemade remedies. Don’t forget to consult your doctor if you have serious gyms infection.
In case the problem is not so serious, you can use only the following homemade remedies. Remember, you can grow back you receding gums by using them and having proper oral hygiene.
Grow back your receding gums with these homemade remedies:
– Green tea
It is important to know that green tea has an abundance of extraordinary health benefits. To explain you more deeply, it is rich in antioxidants, fighting the free radicals, which can trigger periodontal disease that can lead to receding gums. It contains a lot of antioxidants, but one of them is known as catechins, which helps in destroying any periodontal disease.
Drink 1 cup of green tea each morning.
– Aloe Vera
It has numerous health benefits and most of them are associated with skin issues. The main reason is due to the fact that aloe Vera has a lot of anti-inflammatory properties as well as repairing capabilities. Aloe Vera has a strong capacity to fight against inflammation as well as turn on the cells that are very important for tissue repairing when it comes to receding gums.
Use aloe Vera gel for any gum problem. We are going to present you 2 alternatives how to use it: Use aloe Vera gel like a mouthwash and for brushing.
In other words, when you have flossed and brushed them, put some aloe Vera gel and once again brush your teeth and gums, as well. It should last about 3 to 5 minutes. At least, rinse your mouth thoroughly.
The other option is to use aloe Vera gel as a mouthwash. After brushing your teeth, you should take a little bit of aloe Vera gel and dissolve it in some water. Furthermore, the consistency should be good enough so that you can swirl it through your mouth. Repeat it on a daily basis after brushing.
– Oil pulling
It is considered as one of the most effective treatments for receding gums. Moreover, oil pulling also helps with other oral diseases and it can heal cavities. You should know that sesame oil has a number of health benefits and anti-inflammatory properties and therefore it can decrease plague buildups and destroy the mouth toxins.
First of all, warm the sesame oil up. But, pay attention not to overheat it. Just warm it. Next, you should brush your teeth, take the sesame oil in your mouth, gargle and swirl it around your mouth. It is recommended to do this for a few minutes. First of all, start with 30 seconds to 1 minute and once you get used to the procedure just try to increase the time from 15 to 20 minutes.
– Other way of oil pulling
Coconut oil can also be used for oil pulling as it reduces the possibility of getting infections that may be the reason for having receding gums. This oil will also heal your cavity and prevent tooth decay and it is a very powerful ingredient used in the treatment of receding gums.
Use organic coconut oil. Start by brushing your teeth and then take a little bit of the oil and use it as a mouthwash. Additionally, once again repeat the method 1 to 2 minutes and increase gradually. Keep in mind the goal is 15 to 20 minutes on a daily basis. This method can help you grow back your receding gums as well as prevent any mouth bacteria growth.
It contains essential oils with a lot of health benefits. In fact, the essential oils from the herbs are stronger than the herb itself. Eucalyptus essential oil are able to kill the mouth germs and bacteria. Also, they can protect you from any oral diseases and help in reducing the gum swelling. However, dilute the essential oil before you put it on your gums as it is really strong.
Firstly, dilute 1 or 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil in 1 or 2 tablespoons of water. Then, dip your toothbrush or your finger in it, apply it on your gums and massage them gently. Finally, wash your mouth with water.
– Clove oil
Did you know that one of the common clove oil uses is preventing toothache? To explain you more deeply, this oil can help you destroy the germs and bacteria in your mouth as well as it can fight against any oral disease. Due to its exceptional anti-inflammatory properties it has a great capacity to reduce the gum swelling.
You have to reduce inflammation in order to fight periodontal disease. In case you chew a clove, you will experience a numbing effect. Moreover, after each meal you can chew a clove. But, the clove oil should touch each side of your mouth to destroy the bad breath, as well.
Massage your gums by using 1 to 2 drops of clove oil. Repeat this method one to three times on a daily basis.
Precaution: If taking a blood clotting medication, consult your doctor before using this method.
You can obtain resin from the Myrrh tree and use it for curing and treating various gums and mouth diseases. What’s more, it will stop the gum and prevent any further gum damages.
You should use powdered myrrh. In case you have myrrh in a resin form, make powder just by crushing it. Mix it with water until you form paste. Then, apply it on your gums and massage it well. It lasts a few minutes and you can use a toothbrush to complete this procedure.
This fruit is widely known for its marvelous antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can stimulate the growth of receding gums as well as destroy the bad breath. However, as a result of their acid, too much of them can destroy your teeth enamel. So, it is not recommended to use lemon oil every day. Use it just once a week.
Homemade lemon oil recipe
– A half to 1 freshly squeezed lemon juice
– ¼ to half a cup of olive oil
You should put the olive oil in a jar and add the lemon juice. Next, just cover and shake it well. Leave the solution for a couple of weeks, but shake the jar each day. After three or four weeks you can start using the oil.
It is recommended to apply a bit of lemon oil on your fingers and massage your gums for several minutes. Repeat this procedure not more than 2 times within a week.
Excellent tips for preventing gum recession
– Proper oral hygiene
– Use gentle strokes and circular motion.
– No aggressive brushing.
– Use a brush with small head and soft bristles.
– Brush along your gym line, and do not push the gums.
– The best way to maintain good oral hygiene is to floss and brush your teeth and gums after each meal.
If not able to do that use a mouthwash.
– Use a mouthwash
In case you use a mouthwash daily, your mouth will be free of bacteria and germs. Here are some recipes for homemade mouthwash, which are made with amazing essential oils.
– Combine 1 to 2 drops of essential oil, like clove oil, sage, peppermint, or tea tree oil with ¼ to ½ cups of water. Combine it well and use it each day.
– Also, you can use hydrogen peroxide for such a purpose. Since it is very strong it should be diluted with water.
Do it at least 2 times on a daily basis – one in the morning and one in the evening.
– Drink a lot of water
All of us know that water is a key factor for an excellent health so drinking a lot of it can keep your gums healthy.
Why you should drink more water in order to keep your gums healthy:
– It can help you get rid of the toxins from your mouth and your body. In addition, it will also help you flush out any germs and bacteria found in your mouth, thus preventing receding gums.
– It will keep your mouth clean. In case you are not able to clean your mouth after each meal, just use water to clean any food that is left on your teeth as well as in your mouth.
– Eat healthy
Healthy food is full of nutrients that can improve your overall health and boost your immunity. But, junk food helps the bacteria grow in your mouth, resulting in a great number of infections.
– Consume as much fruits and vegetables as you can. It is advisable to consume that full of vitamin C, as it is very important for your gum health. Moreover, it can reduce inflammation and help in gum regeneration. Consume a lot of pineapple, oranges, strawberries, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.
– Lower your sugar intake and avoid cold drinks because they are perfect home for bacteria.
– Avoid the consumption of alcohol, caffeine, processed food, and anything containing white flour.
– Consult your doctor for taking any supplements
These supplements can help you in the treatment of receding gums:
– Vitamin C: It boosts the immunity and has a number of anti-inflammatory properties.
– Calcium: It is very important factor for dental and bone health.
– Zinc: It boosts the immunity and fights different bacteria, which can cause infection and oral diseases.
– Coenzume Q10: It renews the cells and helps you grow back your receding gums.
– Ginkgo biloba: It improves the blood circulation that is essential for having healthy gums.