A persistent cough is painful and frustrating. It can be caused by everything from a dry throat to sinus drainage to asthma.
It happens to everyone: That annoying sensation in your throat starts as a tickle and then escalates to a hacking cough just as you’re trying to fall asleep, or it wakes you up in the middle of the night. Coughing is your body’s way of ridding your lungs and airways of irritants such as mucus, microbes, and pollutants.
The key to combating your cough quickly is selecting the right solution for your type of cough.
Grandma’s favorite cough cure
This is a tried-and-true recipe that grandma or great-grandma is probably very familiar with. It’s all natural and combines three potent ingredients: honey, olive oil and lemon juice. It’s great for both adults and kids over the age of 12 months, and can be kept in either the pantry or the refrigerator for later use.
The honey, as mentioned earlier, has been scientifically proven to help suppress a cough.
Olive oil, helps to reduce coughing by naturally coating the throat, increasing lubrication and reducing the urge to cough. As it’s an anti-inflammatory, it also relieves cough symptoms by reducing inflammation in the throat, similar to the way that ibuprofen works.
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw honey
- ½ cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 5 organic lemons, juiced (using as many as possible is best)
- Glass jar with a lid
1. Add honey, olive oil and lemon juice to a small pot and stir well.
2. Heat over medium heat, just until steaming, while stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
4. Once it’s cool, place the mixture into a jar and cover with a lid.
5. Take one tablespoon, warmed, when needed.
Keep in mind that this is best used as soon as you feel a cough coming on.