Calcium deficiency is caused when the body does not have a sufficient amount of calcium. This is a very important mineral for overall health, especially in the health of bones, teeth, and sufficient and normal cardiac rhythm.
Furthermore, this mineral is also very important for muscle contractions, nerve and hormone function, as well as regulating and controlling blood pressure.
*Can a lack of calcium cause symptoms?
Generally, calcium deficiency symptoms vary from person to person, also depending on the seriousness of the deficiency. The factors and causes of the deficiency also come into play here.
Very rarely does calcium deficiency present symptoms at the beginning of its development because generally, it becomes noticeable when the bones become weakened and you begin to experience fractures in them.
Symptoms could be so imperceptible that, in most cases, they go unnoticed and years could go by before they’re noticed. It’s even very common to already have advanced osteoporosis by the time you notice the symptoms.
*A few symptoms are…
- Strong neck and back pain that in most cases is very severe, due to fractures caused in the spinal column.
- Serious fractures that could be caused even by light hits.
- Height loss, the individual could shrink more and more.
- Hunched posture, creating an abnormal curvature in the spine.
*Calcium deficiency treatment
The most appropriate treatments in this case are, primarily, replacing calcium reserves in the body by different methods.
- The first thing to do when you learn that you have a calcium deficiency is to increase calcium by consuming foods rich in calcium. For example, leafy greens, beans, nuts, seafood, orange juice, and more.
- Change in some medications could be associated with ongoing calcium loss, which could occur with diuretics. (You must consult a specialist for this, never take them of your own will).
- Perform a exercise program with soft exercises that are not too exhausting.
- Take calcium supplements, as well as including vitamin D and phosphorus. You should ask for a medical opinion to consume any kind of dietary supplement. You should also never self-medicate as this could cause very serious general health complications.