The best way to celebrate Memorial Day is with this delicious, rich, moist and soft banana cake with tasty lemon cream cheese frosting and pleasingly rich and sweet banana flavor.
An old fashioned classic, banana cake has its origin from the Depression Era when baking powder and baking soda started being widely available as a means to avoid waste and earn more money.
Don’t hesitate to prepare this recipe—you can go wrong with it. Read the notes carefully to make sure you prepared a soft moist cake, because thus you will enjoy that irresistibly delicious texture. You can either add few chopped nuts or make appetizing muffins for breakfast. You are going to love them!
HOW TO MAKE “THE BEST BANANA CAKE”
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour 15 minutes
• 1 1/3 Cup mashed ripened bananas (overripe the best)
• 2 1/2 Tbs lemon juice , divided
• 1 1/2 Cups milk
• 3 Cups flour
• 1/2 Tbs baking soda
• 1/4 Tsp salt
• 2/3 Cup butter, softened
• 1 Cup white sugar
• 1/2 Cup brown sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 1 Tsp vanilla
• 8 oz cream cheese
• 1/3 Cup butter, softened
• 3 – 3½ Cups powdered sugar
• 1 Tsp lemon juice
• 1½ Tsp lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
2. Take a measuring cup and add 1 ½ tbsp. lemon juice.Top to 1 1/2 cups with milk. Set aside.
3. Combine together mashed banana with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, set aside.
4. Beat together butter, brown and white sugar until combined. Add in eggs one at a time and vanilla. Mix on high until light and fluffy (almost the texture of frosting).
5. Add flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and mix them well. Stir the alternate adding flour mixture and milk to egg mixture until combined. (Do not overmix). Fold in bananas. Transfer into prepared pan.
6. Put into the oven and reduce heat to 300 degrees. Bake 60 – 70 minutes (see note below) or just until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (do not over bake).
7. Remove from oven and place in the freezer for 45 minutes to make the cake extra moist. Allow it to cool completely before frosting.
Cream together butter and cream cheese until becomes fluffy. Add in lemon zest and juice. Add powdered sugar a few times until you reach wanted consistency. Spread over cooled cake.
1. The cooking time on this cake can vary! You will need 60 minutes for this recipe. Check your cake at 55 minutes and if it isn’t ready, continue cooking until a toothpick comes out clean (this can take an additional 20-30 minutes depending on your oven).
2. To ensure a soft moist result:
3. Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature (eggs and butter)
4. You need the acidity from the lemon juice (& milk) mixture. Using just milk or cream won’t work. (You can use buttermilk in its place if it is necessary).
5. When preparing the mixture of butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla, beat until it becomes VERY fluffy, almost the consistency of a fluffy buttercream frosting. This should take about 5 minutes.
6. When adding the flour mixture, make sure you mix until just combined. Do not overmix, cause it will become dense and chewy.