Moringa is a plant that has been used in the traditional Asian medicine for hundreds of years. It grows in South Asia and it is known for its richness in antioxidants. Scientific communities have confirmed many of the health benefits this plant has to offer, but there are still many things that we don’t know.
Moringa is an extremely rich source of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. Believe it or not, the leaves themselves pack more nutrients than the pods. A cup of fresh Moringa pods provides 15% of RDA of Vitamin C, 19% of daily recommended dose of Vitamin B6, 9% of vitamin A and 11% vitamin B2. The leaves are available as dietary supplements but it is better if you grow it at home in order to enjoy its natural benefits to the fullest.
Here is why you should consume Moringa:
- Stronger bones – the Moringa plant helps improve the density of the bones as it is very rich in iron and calcium that play a vital role in strengthening the bones. This is the main reason why it is much recommended for children also.
- Anti-cancer properties – Moringa’s richness in antioxidants is extremely useful when it comes to eliminating free radicals in the body and preventing the formation of microbes that lead to cancer. It is rich in quercetin and chlorogenic – two powerful antioxidants that act in the body by negating free radical activity.
- Relieves headaches – Moringa root helps in relieving headaches even better than aspirin. Simply extract the juice of the roots and mix it with the same amount of jaggery in order to achieve immediate relief.
- Treating eye issues – the plant is efficient in treating eye issues such as conjunctivitis. Grind some Moringa leaves and apply the paste onto your eyes. In order to treat other issues such as corneal disorders or eye swelling, mix the juice of Moringa plant with some honey, and apply it on your eyes just like eyeliner.
- Lowers blood pressure – believe it or not, Moringa can keep your blood pressure under control and it helps in managing diabetes. We know how many health issues high blood pressure can cause so consuming Moringa plant often will be a literal life-saver. Studies have been done on numerous animals and have been proven successful. Another study involved 30 women. The women were given 7 grams of leaf powder daily, for 3 months. The results were reduced blood sugar levels by 13% in all 30 women!
- Purifies the blood – The Moringa leaves and pods do wonders when it comes to blood purification. You can do this by consuming Moringa soup which also fights off skin issues like acne.
- Anti–aging properties – The Moringa plant is rich in Vitamin A which slows down the natural process of aging, prevents vision loss and strengthens the immune system and the overall body.